It's a noble, challenging, but life-enriching pursuit to identify as a Harry girl in the One Direction fandom - not just because he's both physically and metaphorically out of our reach, but also because there are certain things he does that actually inflict emotional pain on us.
Let's take a look at why Harry girls suffer more than they truly deserve:
1. Hell will actually freeze over before he posts a selfie.
Unless you're attracted to empty egg boxes and raindrops trickling down a window pane, his Insta feed has nothing for you.
2. He makes every other male human look like a craggy goblin
It's not that everyone else is unattractive, it's just that the comparison is pretty harsh.
3. His wardrobe is just as impossibly appealing as his face
Essentially, his clothes are just too good and we would look like an urchin in rags standing next to his Saint Laurent ensemble.
4. There's always the crippling inevitability of a December girlfriend
It's just something you have to accept. If you accept it before it even happens, you will make it through alive.
5. The air of mystique he has on Twitter means he rarely responds to fans
We can only assume he stalks everyone in silence, but it would be a nice to have a replying spree every once in a while. The @reply dream is alive with Louis, Niall, and Liam, but with Harry? With Harry it's dead.
6. He's literally never in the country, so a chance encounter is extremely unlikely
This could potentially improve over the hiatus, but up until now the idea of bumping into him in a remote country village is reserved as the stuff of fanfics.
7. He's raised your standards in men to unrealistic and potentially life-damaging levels
You'll basically be alone forever, and you have no-one to blame but yourself. And Harry Styles. Him too.
8. You've legitimately lost friendships over people saying he needs to cut his hair
It's just an outrageous suggestion, and you have no time for people like that in your life.
9. Hearing his name in public/during class/on the radio is an emotional trigger for you
And it's a struggle to carry on with whatever you're supposed to be doing without getting distracted.
10. The competition is just too fierce
Because whether they admit or not, everyone on the entire planet is secretly a Harry girl.
Your thoughts on this? Let us know with a tweet @sugarscape or drop us a comment in the box below.
NOW READ THESE: