The arrival of summer means various excellent things like endless Cornetto eating, loads of sunshine and lying back on a flamingo shaped lilo with a mini umbrella in your drink. But as well as all the good stuff, it does also mean something else for a lot of ladies - BIKINI WAXES.
While things are happily left to get hairy and hibernate over the winter, the prospect of putting a swimming costume on means that some girls might wanna head to the salon and get things down thurrr neatened up a bit.
But what's it actually like to get a proper bikini wax done professionally? Does it hurt? Do you have to get your knickers off? DO YOU SHOW THEM YOUR FANNY? Oh gahd, here's what happens and what to expect from your first one.
- First thing's first, you'll probably feel self conscious, anxious and generally like you might wee yourself about the whole thing. That's FINE (as long as you don't wee on the beautician), because it is a pretty daunting thought.
- But the most important thing to remember is that the professionals have seen this all before. They wax several thighs, bums and vaginas a day - and no offence, but yours ain't anything special to 'em.
- There's a lot of lingo to get to know when it comes to a bikini wax, and you need to make sure you know how you want the finished result to look. Get clued up on all the different styles HERE to familiarise yourself with the kind of wax you'd like to have done.
Do I have to get fully nekkid?
- When you go to your appointment, the beautician will ask you to lie down on the table/bed/couch, and remove your clothes from the waist down.
- Here's the part that everyone worries about - YOU DON'T HAVE TO TAKE YOUR KNICKERS OFF IF YOU DON'T WANT TO. While some people are happy to whip off their pants, others might not be quite so comfortable with doing so, but that's fine. Therapists are very skilled at working around your undies to protect your modesty.
- If you're choosing to get a lot'a hair off down there with a Brazilian or a Hollywood wax, the beautician may prefer you to go underwear-less, or they may offer you some VERY sexy disposable pants instead.
- The most important thing is that you feel comfortable though, so it's totally up to you and completely your call. If you don't wanna take 'em off, don't feel you have to.
- Although top tip, wear comfy cotton pants to stop things getting scratchy once it's all been whipped off.
The magic moment
- Now it's time to get the party started. Your therapist will normally ask you place one leg bent up at the knee and the other bent flat on the bed at a right angle, exposing one side of your bikini line. HOORAY.
- She will then tuck a tissue into the edge of your pants to protect them from the wax.
- Wearing gloves for hygiene purposes, the therapist then applies melted hot wax onto a small section of your hair using a spatula – it's warm, not too hot and just feels kinda toasty.
- Then a strip of cloth or muslin is applied on top of the wax, she presses down for a few seconds to smooth the fabric, holds the skin taut and pulls the strip away in one sharp tug. She continues repeating this process on both sides until you're all done.
Oh god is she going to touch my bits
- Yes yes alright alright, the therapist WILL be extremely close to your bum, and if you choose a Brazilian or a Hollywood wax, she'll be waxing your actual bum hair too. Ain't life glam.
- For that part, some will have you pull your leg up really, really high. Some will have you get on all fours with your bum in the air. Others will have you flat on your belly, holding your cheeks apart with your hands. Whatever the method, you'll probably feel like an idiot, but it's over in a matter of minutes.
- And yup, she might have to touch your labia to get a close wax and pull the skin taught. It might feel a bit weird and not exactly your average Tuesday afternoon, but it's necessary if you want things done properly.
Is it gonna hurt?
- Well the short answer is, yes - probably. Everyone's pain thresholds are different, but even for the toughest of gals, it's not exactly painless.
- Normally it results in a sharp intake of breath, but it definitely gets easier the more you have it done and the further into the wax you go as your body adjusts to the shock. In some areas you'll hardly flinch; other spots might result in shouty swearing (top of the bikini line is always a bit ouchy) - but either way it's over in about TWO SECONDS.
- Taking an ibuprofen an hour beforehand also helps to ease the pain a little bit, FYI.
When it's all done
- Once all the waxing malarky is over with, the therapist finishes by checking it all over and removing any stray hairs with tweezers for the most perfect result poss.
- Finally, a soothing cream or lotion is applied all over the sore parts, to cool the skin down and generally stop it feeling like a freshly plucked chicken. You'll then be left in the room alone to get yourself dressed again without flashing. Yay.
- A bit of redness is normal afterwards for a few hours. AND THAT'S ALL.
Being a girl is SO GREAT.
Gonna get your first bikini wax this summer? Has this made you feel a tiiiiny bit better? Let us know with a tweet to @Sugarscape.