Despite probably sticking them up your vagina (soz) on a monthly basis, it's surprising how little we as females actually know about tampons, pads and similar sanitary products.
And whilst we've already explained in great detail wtf a moon cup is and why you might choose to use one, we haven't yet discussed the lovely little cotton wool period sucker-upper, also known as a TAMPON.
*Shiny rays appear behind the word*.
1. The average woman uses between 11,000-15,000 tampons in her lifetime. FIFTEEN THOUSAND TAMPONS. Could you imagine all those in one place at once? They'd fill a ROOM.
2. The average UK women will experience around 450 periods in their lives. That averages out at 1,800 days per women, which we really really dread to think of. Nearly 5 years. *Shudders*.
3. 1 in 700 women will contract tampon related TSS (toxic shock syndrome) in their lifetime. Viscose rayon found in conventional tampons & pads promote the production of the toxin that can lead to TSS (Toxic Shock Syndrome), a rare but life-threatening bacterial infection
4. It's also a biological fact that menstruating makes you hornier. Not *that* much to do with tampons, just saying.
5. The average British woman spends up to £18,450 a year on their periods - not just on sanitary products, but food, pain killers, chocolate and new pants. Yep you did read that correctly, A YEAR. Blimey, boys have it easy.
6. Most tampons & pads can contain chemicals such as fragrances, dioxins, and pesticide and herbicide residues, and are often made from blends of bleached cotton and/or synthetic products.
7. Conventional sanitary pads can contain the equivalent of about four shopping bags when it comes to the amount of plastic used in them. Pretty scary, huh?
8. Synthetics and plastic, found in some conventional sanitary products, restrict air flow and trap heat and dampness, potentially promoting yeast and bacteria growth in your vaginal area. We don't even wanna know.
9. There is 100% natural cotton tampons & pads available, that don't include the above mentioned chemicals, synthetics or dyes.
10. The International Women's Health Coalition surveyed 90,000 women around the world and found out that one in 20 British women has missed work or an event due to their period. Tbf, we'd miss more on a monthly basis if we could.
Find out about 100 per cent natural and cotton tampon and sanitary pads brand Veeda here.